Moldavite Meteorite Shungite Obsidian Bead Necklace
Is Moldavite a crystal, stone, or meteorite?
Moldavite is often referred to as a crystal, stone, and even a meteorite. Actually it is not one of these. Scientifically it is classified as a Tektite, which is an impact glass resulting from a meteorite impact. A tektite has no crystalline structure, and its molecules are lined up in all directions (amorphous structure). Almost all tektites are very dark brown or black in color. Moldavite Tektites are unique in that they are usually a brilliant forest green.
Where is Moldavite found?
This rare green tektite is only found in the Czech Republic. Moldavite Tektites are found within about a 37 mile (60 kilometer) strewn field spread across six regions in an area called the Bohemian Plateau in the Czech Republic. Many pieces have been discovered by farmers plowing their fields. People dig underground and mine for Moldavite as far as 30 feet below the earth's surface.
Why are they found so far underground? Scientists believe Moldavite Tektites were created as a result of a meteorite that impacted the earth approximately about 280 miles away in Germany! Molten drops of hot material were ejected into the air and literally rained back down because of the massive meteorite event. Their final destination in the Czech Republic is where they are found today. The below image is of the Ries Impact Crater in Germany where moldavite tektites were believed to have been created.
How was Moldavite created?
Moldavite Tektites formed from heat that was so extreme at the point of a meteorite impact that the meteorite itself literally vaporized and turned into a incredibly super hot gas. Think of heating an ice cube so fast that it does not have time to turn into a liquid, but instead turns straight to vapor.
Tektites are a combination of super heated earthly and extra terrestrial (meteorite material) vaporized gases. These gases mixed and solidified into a form of impact glass (also known as a tektite). Can you imagine what it must have been like to see a firestorm of these glowing red hot drops of new green Moldavite tektites raining down from the heavens above? Fun fact: As a consequence of the extreme circumstances when tektites formed Lechatelierites (worm-like inclusions) were created inside.
Lechatelierite inclusions in Genuine Moldavite
How to identify real Moldavite
Unless you know what to look for it can be difficult to tell the differences between the real Moldavite vs the fakes.
Here are three things to look for in genuine Moldavite:1. Under very high magnification you will notice that cut and polished pieces of real moldavite have small bubbles. Sometimes the bubbles are round and others are very elongated. It is a myth that ALL bubbles must be elongated.
2. You also want to look for Schlierens (Rays) or flow lines. The image above highlights something that is not found in man-made green glass or fake Moldavite. This leads us to the third thing to look for.
3. One key sign to to look for in genuine Moldavite is the presence of tiny worm-like lechatelierite inclusions. A Lechatelierite inclusion can be seen in the image above as indicated within the red circled area. They are not always as twisted as this, but when they show the worm-like twisted form they are easier to identify. This is a good example of Lechatelierite inclusions as seen in one of the gems we inspect before setting into one of our Moldavite Pendants.
Scientific Properties of Moldavite
- Classification: Tektite group
- Chemical Classification: A silica-rich glass
- Color: Forest green to olive greenish brown
- Diaphaneity: Opaque, translucent, transparent
- Streak: White
- Luster: Vitreous (has the luster of glass)
- Cleavage: None
- Hardness: 5.5 - 6 on the Mohs Hardness Scale
- Specific Gravity: 2.32 to 2.40
- Refractive Index: 1.48 to 1.54
- Diagnostic Properties: Green to brownish olive green. Under magnification: lechatelierite inclusions, abundant gas inclusions, and flow lines.
- Chemical Composition: SiO2(+Al2O3)
- Crystal System: Amorphous
Moldavite's Metaphysical Properties
Moldavite is one of the most powerful metaphysical stones that a person can work with. "The stone of transformation" has been found in caves, used as talismans and amulets, adorned statues, and been worn by ancient Neolithic people over 25,000 years ago.
Thousands of people have experienced accelerated change in their life when working with it. A common theme seems to be that of both an acceleration on one's spiritual path and in one's outer world. It works exceptionally well with the heart chakra as well as the upper chakras. This green tektite has been known to instantaneously open up and activate the heart chakra of a person when they are simply holding a piece in their hand for the first time. The tektite has also been used in the activation of all chakras too.
The unimaginable energy generated during the creation of these tektites might be the reason why Moldavite's energy can be so intense for some sensitive individuals. This stone has been treasured by everyday people, celebrities, and prominent figures throughout history. This is a crystal that does not discriminate. Its message to humanity and energetic action is all about change! Want to learn more? Check out our Metaphysical page.
How to use Moldavite
Many people new to this crystal wonder about how to use Moldavite. One of the easiest ways to use it is by simply carrying a piece in your pocket.
Wearing Moldavite Jewelry is another great way to work with Moldavite and introduce it to your daily life. Wearing a silver Moldavite pendant is ideal for placement of this stone closest to the heart chakra. Wearing a new gold or silver Moldavite ring on any finger of your hand is another excellent way to introduce this crystal into your aura. Placing a piece under the pillow at night will often give a person very vivid dreams!
If this is your first piece one of the best ways to use your Moldavite is to meditate with it. Yes you can meditate with a Moldavite necklace or bracelet too. It is advised that those new to this stone should only meditate with it for about 5 minutes until they know how it will affect them. If a piece is in your aura or environment it is working.
What is The Moldavite Flush?
Many people experience a sense of heat and literally feel flushed when they are holding a piece of Moldavite for the first time. This is called the Moldavite Flush. The Moldavite Flush is such a common experience it is another well-earned phenomenon of this energetic green tektite. This sensation is often a strong indicator that this would be a good stone for a person to work with.
What about other moldavite experiences?
Many people have had Moldavite experiences of all kinds. Moldavite's fast acting energy can be overwhelming to some people. On the other hand, some people will simply pick a piece up and set it back down feeling nothing at all.
Others will experience the Moldavite Flush or other sensations. It does not matter whether a person feels the energy or not. It is similar to the invisible UV rays of the sun. A person may not see or feel UV rays, but they are having an affect.
If a person is ready to embrace change in their life and to address their own "stuff" this is probably the best stone with which to work. This stone is also spiritually very protective. It is thought that "earthly entities" have trouble getting past the extraterrestrial energy of this tektite. This crystal is known to facilitate contact with one's guides especially ET guides.
More About Moldavite
- Astrological Sign: All, Especially attuned with Scorpio
- Numerology: Moldavite Tektite (English) is a master number (11) that further combines down to the Vibration Number (2).
- Numerology: Moldavite is also known by the name Vltava. Vibration Number (6).
- Elements: Storm and Fire
- Chakras: Heart (4th) & Third Eye (6th)
- Reputation: Known for Rapid Transformation, Spiritual Evolution, Chakra Activation, Cleansing, and Protection from "earthly" entities. Aligns one to their path in life or life's purpose. It also has a reputation for helping to facilitate contact with guides, extraterrestrials, and ET guides.
- Love is in the Earth The Crystal and Mineral Encyclopedia book by: Melody
- The Book of Stones Who They Are & What They Teach by: Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian
- Stone Medicine A Chinese Medical Guide to Healing With Gems and Minerals by: Leslie J. Franks
- Bulletin of the Czech Geological Survey 2002 issue PDF Moldavites: a review by: Trnka, M.& Houzar, S.
- Pythagoras Numerology (known as the father of Numerology) was used to calculate the numerical vibration of Moldavite.
This artisan made Moldavite Meteorite Beaded Necklace set in sterling silver wire is one of kind. All of our Moldavite Meteorite Jewelry comes with a Certificate of Authenticity. We only use genuine natural Moldavite Tektites sourced directly from the Czech Republic.
- Necklace Length: 20 7/8"
- Pendant Size: 2 5/16 x 5/16 x 3/16"
- Metal: .925 Sterling Silver
- Stones: Faceted Moldavite Tektite 3mm, Campo Del Cielo Meteorite (nickle-iron), Indochinite Tektite Beads, Shungite Beads, Black Obsidian Beads, Green Pyrite Beads
- Chakras: All, Root (1st), Solar Plexus (3rd), Heart (4th), Third Eye (6th), Crown (7th)
- Energies: Transformation, Clearing, Protection, Psychic Protection, Spiritual Evolution, Kundalini Activation, Grounding, Masculine energy, Manifestation, Willpower
This unique Meteorite Moldavite Bead Necklace combines multiple stone energies resulting in a piece that is both powerful and grounding. The sum of the whole is greater than the individual stone energies.
Moldavite is one of the Synergy 12 Stones for activating the light body and is known as "the stone of transformation". It brings rapid spiritual evolution while ushering in change necessary for alignment to one's path in life. Those sensitive to the high vibration of this stone often experience the "Moldavite Flush" causing a sudden and spontaneous opening of the Heart chakra. Combined with other minerals this unusual green tektite also amplifies the energy of other stones.
Campo Del Cielo Meteorites help activate the Kundalini and are said to carry "monk" energy. Nickle-Iron meteorites are both grounding and activating as they provide a balance that aids by anchoring and activating inner visions as well as spiritual awakenings. The extra terrestrial nature of meteorite energies also work exceptionally well with Moldavite tektites.
Indochinite Tektite's energy is both grounding and protective. As a natural form of glass created from a meteorite Indochinite tektites are helpful in completing duties, tasks, and providing a sense of "knowing" in regards to higher learning and spirituality. Tektites have been used for aligning the energy centers of the physical body as well as aiding to balance the nervous system.
Shungite provides an aura of psychic protection, is clearing, and also has a very grounding stone energy to it. Shungite can also be helpful for people that feel ungrounded to connect back to the earth. This stone helps to ground the high vibrational nature of Moldavite's energy.
Black Obsidian is a natural form of volcanic glass found around the world. It is an excellent choice as a protective and grounding stone. It aids in stabilizing both the internal as well as external energies and is a favorite of many healers. Obsidian has long been used by Shamans for the removal of "disorder" from the body during shamanic ceremonies. Obsidian is a stone for helping one to examine personal flaws and also aids in addressing them as well.
Pyrite is an excellent stone for increasing personal willpower. It activates the solar plexus or third chakra instilling a sense of "can do" attitude for taking "action" toward one's goals. Pyrite's energy is a great choice for artists seeking assistance from the mineral kingdom when more ambition, commitment, and persistence is needed.
About Campo Del Cielo Meteorites
Campo Del Cielo is classified as an Iron, IAB-MG meteorite. It was found In 1576 when the governor of a province in Northern Argentina commissioned the military to search for a huge mass of iron, which he had heard that Natives used for their weapons. The Natives claimed that the mass had fallen from the sky in a place they called Piguem Nonralta which the Spanish translated as Campo del Cielo ("Field of Heaven").