Rare Tatahouine Meteorite HED Achondrite Diogenite
Is Moldavite a crystal, stone, or meteorite?
Moldavite is often referred to as a crystal, stone, and even a meteorite. Actually it is not one of these. Scientifically it is classified as a Tektite, which is an impact glass resulting from a meteorite impact. A tektite has no crystalline structure, and its molecules are lined up in all directions (amorphous structure). Almost all tektites are very dark brown or black in color. Moldavite Tektites are unique in that they are usually a brilliant forest green.
Where is Moldavite found?
This rare green tektite is only found in the Czech Republic. Moldavite Tektites are found within about a 37 mile (60 kilometer) strewn field spread across six regions in an area called the Bohemian Plateau in the Czech Republic. Many pieces have been discovered by farmers plowing their fields. People dig underground and mine for Moldavite as far as 30 feet below the earth's surface.
Why are they found so far underground? Scientists believe Moldavite Tektites were created as a result of a meteorite that impacted the earth approximately about 280 miles away in Germany! Molten drops of hot material were ejected into the air and literally rained back down because of the massive meteorite event. Their final destination in the Czech Republic is where they are found today. The below image is of the Ries Impact Crater in Germany where moldavite tektites were believed to have been created.
How was Moldavite created?
Moldavite Tektites formed from heat that was so extreme at the point of a meteorite impact that the meteorite itself literally vaporized and turned into a incredibly super hot gas. Think of heating an ice cube so fast that it does not have time to turn into a liquid, but instead turns straight to vapor.
Tektites are a combination of super heated earthly and extra terrestrial (meteorite material) vaporized gases. These gases mixed and solidified into a form of impact glass (also known as a tektite). Can you imagine what it must have been like to see a firestorm of these glowing red hot drops of new green Moldavite tektites raining down from the heavens above? Fun fact: As a consequence of the extreme circumstances when tektites formed Lechatelierites (worm-like inclusions) were created inside.
Lechatelierite inclusions in Genuine Moldavite
How to identify real Moldavite
Unless you know what to look for it can be difficult to tell the differences between the real Moldavite vs the fakes.
Here are three things to look for in genuine Moldavite:1. Under very high magnification you will notice that cut and polished pieces of real moldavite have small bubbles. Sometimes the bubbles are round and others are very elongated. It is a myth that ALL bubbles must be elongated.
2. You also want to look for Schlierens (Rays) or flow lines. The image above highlights something that is not found in man-made green glass or fake Moldavite. This leads us to the third thing to look for.
3. One key sign to to look for in genuine Moldavite is the presence of tiny worm-like lechatelierite inclusions. A Lechatelierite inclusion can be seen in the image above as indicated within the red circled area. They are not always as twisted as this, but when they show the worm-like twisted form they are easier to identify. This is a good example of Lechatelierite inclusions as seen in one of the gems we inspect before setting into one of our Moldavite Pendants.
Scientific Properties of Moldavite
- Classification: Tektite group
- Chemical Classification: A silica-rich glass
- Color: Forest green to olive greenish brown
- Diaphaneity: Opaque, translucent, transparent
- Streak: White
- Luster: Vitreous (has the luster of glass)
- Cleavage: None
- Hardness: 5.5 - 6 on the Mohs Hardness Scale
- Specific Gravity: 2.32 to 2.40
- Refractive Index: 1.48 to 1.54
- Diagnostic Properties: Green to brownish olive green. Under magnification: lechatelierite inclusions, abundant gas inclusions, and flow lines.
- Chemical Composition: SiO2(+Al2O3)
- Crystal System: Amorphous
Moldavite's Metaphysical Properties
Moldavite is one of the most powerful metaphysical stones that a person can work with. "The stone of transformation" has been found in caves, used as talismans and amulets, adorned statues, and been worn by ancient Neolithic people over 25,000 years ago.
Thousands of people have experienced accelerated change in their life when working with it. A common theme seems to be that of both an acceleration on one's spiritual path and in one's outer world. It works exceptionally well with the heart chakra as well as the upper chakras. This green tektite has been known to instantaneously open up and activate the heart chakra of a person when they are simply holding a piece in their hand for the first time. The tektite has also been used in the activation of all chakras too.
The unimaginable energy generated during the creation of these tektites might be the reason why Moldavite's energy can be so intense for some sensitive individuals. This stone has been treasured by everyday people, celebrities, and prominent figures throughout history. This is a crystal that does not discriminate. Its message to humanity and energetic action is all about change! Want to learn more? Check out our Metaphysical page.
How to use Moldavite
Many people new to this crystal wonder about how to use Moldavite. One of the easiest ways to use it is by simply carrying a piece in your pocket.
Wearing Moldavite Jewelry is another great way to work with Moldavite and introduce it to your daily life. Wearing a silver Moldavite pendant is ideal for placement of this stone closest to the heart chakra. Wearing a new gold or silver Moldavite ring on any finger of your hand is another excellent way to introduce this crystal into your aura. Placing a piece under the pillow at night will often give a person very vivid dreams!
If this is your first piece one of the best ways to use your Moldavite is to meditate with it. Yes you can meditate with a Moldavite necklace or bracelet too. It is advised that those new to this stone should only meditate with it for about 5 minutes until they know how it will affect them. If a piece is in your aura or environment it is working.
What is The Moldavite Flush?
Many people experience a sense of heat and literally feel flushed when they are holding a piece of Moldavite for the first time. This is called the Moldavite Flush. The Moldavite Flush is such a common experience it is another well-earned phenomenon of this energetic green tektite. This sensation is often a strong indicator that this would be a good stone for a person to work with.
What about other moldavite experiences?
Many people have had Moldavite experiences of all kinds. Moldavite's fast acting energy can be overwhelming to some people. On the other hand, some people will simply pick a piece up and set it back down feeling nothing at all.
Others will experience the Moldavite Flush or other sensations. It does not matter whether a person feels the energy or not. It is similar to the invisible UV rays of the sun. A person may not see or feel UV rays, but they are having an affect.
If a person is ready to embrace change in their life and to address their own "stuff" this is probably the best stone with which to work. This stone is also spiritually very protective. It is thought that "earthly entities" have trouble getting past the extraterrestrial energy of this tektite. This crystal is known to facilitate contact with one's guides especially ET guides.
More About Moldavite
- Astrological Sign: All, Especially attuned with Scorpio
- Numerology: Moldavite Tektite (English) is a master number (11) that further combines down to the Vibration Number (2).
- Numerology: Moldavite is also known by the name Vltava. Vibration Number (6).
- Elements: Storm and Fire
- Chakras: Heart (4th) & Third Eye (6th)
- Reputation: Known for Rapid Transformation, Spiritual Evolution, Chakra Activation, Cleansing, and Protection from "earthly" entities. Aligns one to their path in life or life's purpose. It also has a reputation for helping to facilitate contact with guides, extraterrestrials, and ET guides.
- Love is in the Earth The Crystal and Mineral Encyclopedia book by: Melody
- The Book of Stones Who They Are & What They Teach by: Robert Simmons & Naisha Ahsian
- Stone Medicine A Chinese Medical Guide to Healing With Gems and Minerals by: Leslie J. Franks
- Bulletin of the Czech Geological Survey 2002 issue PDF Moldavites: a review by: Trnka, M.& Houzar, S.
- Pythagoras Numerology (known as the father of Numerology) was used to calculate the numerical vibration of Moldavite.
This rare Tatahouine Meteorite is one of a kind. It's unusual olive green color, evidence that it contains 4 Billion year old Fossils, and the location where it was found, around Tatahouine, Tunisia, make this one of the most popular "cosmic crystals". This fragment of Tatahouine meteorite is very small but very powerful! All of our genuine meteorites come with a Meteorite Identification Card. Special Gift Wrapping is included and we offer FREE Shipping for all U.S. orders!
- Meteorite: Tatahouine
Weight: 1.8 grams
- Dimensions: 16 x 12 x 6mm
- Classification: Diogenite / HED Achondrite, Stony Meteorite
- Certified: Includes a Meteorite Identification Card
- Energies: Clearing, Chakra Activation, Light Body Activation, Multidimensional, Extra Terrestrial Communication, Telepathy, Cosmic Energy
The Tatahouine Meteorite is a very powerful "energy mover". This high vibration cosmic crystal excels at seeking out, locating, clearing, and removing stuck negative energy within the energy body(s). Upon first contact the energy has an almost self guided nature to it. The focus is not limited to one area and does seem to go where it is most needed for the individual at the time. It primarily works on the upper chakras.
For example, holding a piece of Tatahouine meteorite in the hand may quickly begin working on blockages associated with negative thought patterns. The result would be a letting go of or releasing long held "programming" located within the mental body.
Stony meteorites have been used for inter-dimensional communication with extra terrestrial beings beyond this physical dimension. They have also been used to balance and align the energy body(s).
This is an advanced stone. Tatahouine meteorite's level of intensity been compared to that of Moldavite or Phenacite crystals. Caution is recommended for those that are especially sensitive to crystal healing energies. As with moldavite those new to working with high vibration meteorite energies may wish to work with these for brief periods of time. Combined with other minerals this unusual green meteorite amplifies the energy of other stones. Discernment is strongly advised when combining with Moldavite Tektites or other high vibration minerals.
In addition to the metaphysical properties listed above the energies of Fossil, and Stony Meteortite also apply.
Tatahouine Meteorite Science and History
Tatahouine meteorite was an observed fall on June 27, 1931 in the southern part of Tunisia. At approximately 1:30 am a large fireball was seen in the sky outside of the village of Tatahouine (Tataouine) Tunisia. The area became famous after George Lucas's original Star Wars movie was filmed around several locations in Tunisia. The region also appeared in the X-Files movie and was called Forum Tataouine.
In 1996 NASA scientists released a controversial publication announcing the evidence of extraterrestrial life in the form of bacterial fossils in meteorites. Tatahouine was one of only two meteorites which NASA scientists found "nanobacteria-like forms" of four-billion-year-old fossils! These extraterrestrial fossils were found on the orthopyroxene matrix in the Tatahouine meteorite. The rod shaped fossils are made up well formed nanometer size calcium carbonate rosettes (calcite crystals) covered with a thin amorphous layer surrounding them. It was also noted that single calcite crystals of this morphology are not found naturally here on earth.
The meteorite is olive green in color with black veins running through and has been referred to as "the most unusual meteorite ever found". This rare type of meteorite is classified as a HED Achondrite, Diogenite which make up less than 1% of all stony meteorites found. Diogenites are the D class of the HED achondrite clan (Howardite-Eucrite-Diogenite). Scientists believe this Vestian Achondrite meteorite was once part of Asteroid Vesta 4 which is located within the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. It orbits the sun in a period of 3.6 Earth years.
- Learn more about the Scientific and Metaphysical Properties of Meteorites and Moldavite tektites.
- Browse through our Large Selection of genuine Meteorite Jewelry in our shop.
You will receive the exact meteorite shown. Macro photography is used in natural sunlight to show detail. The item may appear larger than actual size. Please see size listed for the dimensions. 1" = 25.4 millimeters.